Sankashti Chaturthi is celebrated in honour of Lord Ganesha. It is observed on the chaturthi of the Krishna Paksha of every Hindu calendar month.
On this day, devotees worship Lord Ganesha to help them overcome all the obstacles in life.
December 22 will mark the auspicious Akhuratha Sankashti Chaturthi. Sankashti Chaturthi is celebrated in honour of Lord Ganesha. The Sankashti Vrat of the Margashirsha in Krishna Paksha is called Akhuratha Sankashti Ganesh Chaturthi.
As per the lunar month in the Hindu calendar, there are two Chaturthi tithis – Sankashti Chaturthi and Vinayaka Chaturthi. The one after Purnimasi (full moon) during Krishna Paksha is known as Sankashti Chaturthi and the one after Amavasya during Shukla Paksha is known as Vinayaka Chaturthi. The Sankashti Chaturthi that falls on a Tuesday is called Angarki Chaturthi.
Akhuratha Sankashti Chaturthi Significance:
It is believed that devotees get a prosperous life by worshipping Lord Ganesha on this day.
Childless couples also observe the Sankashti Chaturthi vrat to be blessed with children.
Sankashti Chaturthi in December 2021 (Date and Chandrodaya Time)-
- Date: December 22, 2021, Wednesday
- Moonrise Time: 08:30 PM
- Chauth Name: Akhuratha Sankashti Chaturthi
- Tithi Begins : 04:52 PM on Dec 22
- Tithi Ends : 06:27 PM on Dec 23
Sankashti Chaturthi Rituals:
On the day of Sankashti Chaturthi, devotees wake up early in the morning and take bath. They dedicate the day towards worshipping Lord Ganesha.
The devotees observe a strict fast while some keep a partial fast too.
The observer of this fast can consume fruits, vegetables and roots of plants.
The staple diet on this day comprises of peanuts, potatoes and sabudana khichdi.
The Sankashti puja is done in the evening, after seeing the moon. During the puja, the idol of Lord Ganesha is decorated with flowers. A lamp is also lit in front of the idol.
The devotees then read the ‘vrat katha’ specific to the month.
The fast is broken after worshipping Lord Ganesha and seeing the moon in the evening.
Naivedya comprising modaks and other favourite eatables of Lord Ganesha is prepared as offering on this occasion.
It is auspicious to recite the ‘Ganesha Ashtottara’, ‘Sankashtnashana sthothra’ and ‘Vakratunda Mahakaya’ on this day.
Akhuratha Sankashti Ganesha Chaturthi 2021: Puja Vidhi
- Wake up early in the morning, take a bath and wear clean clothes.
- Devotees are advised to perform the puja during Abhijeet or Vijaya Muhurat.
- Offer water, a fresh piece of cloth, akshat, Janeyu, kumkum, haldi, chandan, durva grass and incense sticks.
- Begin the puja rituals by doing meditation and then light an oil lamp in front of Lord Ganesha’s idol.
- Chant mantras and read Sankashti Chaturthi Vrat katha.
- Offer bhog or modak laddoo as prasad and then distribute it among family members.
- Conclude the puja by performing aarti.
Akhuratha Sankashti Ganesha Chaturthi 2021: Mantras
- Vakratunda Mahakaya, Surya Koti Samaprabaha
- Nirvighnam Kurumedeva Sarva Karyeshu Sarvada
- OM Gan Ganpataye Namah
- OM Ekadantaya Viddhmahe, Vakratundaya Dheemahi Tanno Danti Prachodayat