Prof. Sonajharia Minz has been appointed as vice-chancellor of Sido Kanhu Murmu University (SKMU), Dumka, Jharkhand. The Jharkhand governor’s secretariat had notified the appointment on Wednesday, May 27.
Minz had applied for the post of VC for the Vinoba Bhave University, Hazaribagh, and SKMU.
As per reports, Minz received the news on Thursday morning as she was going to catch a flight from her family home in Ranchi — where she was amid lockdown — to Delhi where she teaches at JNU’s School of Computer and Systems Sciences.
Prof. Sonajharia Minz qualification:
Prof. Sona Jharia Minz completed higher studies from Jawaher Lal Nehru University, Delhi and Madras Christian College, Tambaram, Chennai.
After completing graduation in mathematics from Women’s Christian College, Chennai, and earning an MSc in the subject from Madras Christian College, the slight-framed Sonajharia Minz moved to Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi in 1986 to study computers, then a new discipline.
Moreover, she is a Ph.D. holder in Computer Science and M.Phil in Computer Science, from JNU.
After briefly serving in the universities of Bhopal and Madurai, she returned to JNU to teach in 1992 and continued to remain there.
She intends to return to JNU after a three-year term as vice-chancellor of SKMU, during which time she hopes to teach some courses in the computer application courses offered there.
As per reports, until a decade ago, many students in eastern India called her a local guardian in Delhi. Minz said that this role has now been taken over by many young Adivasi men and women who have joined the colleges of JNU and Delhi University in recent years.
In 2018-19, she served as president of the JNU Teachers Association. During her tenure, students and teachers participated in militant agitation activities and opposed the implementation of seat cuts, compulsory attendance and the online entrance exams.
In January of this year, when the right-wing mob rushed across the campus, she was injured in stone-throwing.
Recently, she has been occupied by the misery of the stranded migrant workers. Last week, many activists and politicians in Jharkhand, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka received a call from Minz to help bring back about 141 mostly young women workers, stranded in the textile hub of Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu.
Best Peer Reviewed Publications:
1. Vinesh Kumar and Sonajharia Minz, “CCRA: channel criticality based resource allocation in cognitive radio networks,” International Journal of Communication Systems, published online: 7 JUL 2015, DOI:10.1002/dac.3012 2015.
2. Vipin Kumar and Sonajharia Minz, “Multi-view Ensemble Learning: An optimal Feature set Partitioning for High Dimensional Data Classification,” Knowledge and Information System, SPRINGER, pp:1-59, 2015.
3. Ibrahim K. A. Abughali, Sonajharia Minz, “Binarizing Change for Fast Trend Similarity Based Clustering of Time Series Data.” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9124, Springer, 2015 pp 257-267.
4. Hemant Kumar Aggarwal, Sonajharia Minz, “Change Detection Using Unsupervised Learning Algorithms for Delhi, India,” Asian Journal of Geoinformatics, Vol 13, No. 4, 12-15, 2013
5. Fuad Al-Yarimi, Sonajharia Minz, “Heirarchical Privacy Preserving Distributed Frequent Itemset Mining (HPPDFIM).” International Journal of Scientific Engineering Research Vol. 4. No.4 Arpil 2013
Recent Peer Reviewed Journals/Books:
1. Kumar, Vinesh, Minz, Sonajharia, CCRA: channel criticality based resource allocation in cognitive radio networks. Int. J. Communication Systems, Online Wiley Library 2017, Vol.30, issue 4, 1-12