Asaduddin Owaisi, an Indian politician, who is the President of the All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen was born on May 13, 1969. He is a three-time Member of Parliament (MP), representing the Hyderabad constituency in Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Indian Parliament. He was honoured with Sansad Ratna Award for the overall best performance in 15th Lok Sabha in 2014.
Owaisi was born to Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi and Najmunissa Begum. He is married to Farheen Owaisi who is a housewife. He has 1 son and 5 daughters. Asaduddin’s grandfather Abdul Wahid Owaisi relaunched the political party Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen as All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen in 1957. Qasim Razvi was his successor. Asaduddin’d Sultan Salahuddin was also an active politician. He was elected to Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly (1962) as well as to Loksabha (from1984 to 2004). Asaduddin’s brother Akbaruddin Owaisi is a Member of the Telangana Legislative Assembly. His youngest brother Burhanuddin Owaisi is the editor of Etemaad.
- 1994-2003: Member of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly representing Charminar assembly constituency
- 2004- till date: Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) representing Hyderabad Lok Sabha constituency
- 2004-2006: Member, Committee on Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme; Member, Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment
- 2006-2007: Member, Standing Committee on Defence
- 2009-2014: Member, Committee on Defence; Member, Committee on Ethics
- Owaisi, along with his younger brother Akbaruddin was booked for charges related to manhandling the Medak district collector in 2005.
- On April 16 2005, he was booked on various charges including criminal intimidation, rioting, and promoting enmity between religious groups.
- In 2009, a lawsuit was registered against Owaisi on the order of Election Commission of India for Chasing and beating up Syed Saleemuddin, a polling agent of Telugu Desam Party(TDP) in the Moghalpura area.
- In March 2013, he was apprehended for organising rally without permission and carrying a gun without a license in Bidar, Karnataka.
- In March 2016, while addressing a public rally in Maharastra, Owaisi said that he would never say the slogan Bharat Mata Ki Jai.
- 2017: Speaking on the ban on cow slaughter, Owaisi criticized BJP for being hypocritical in treating cow as holy in Uttar Pradesh and North Indian states, but un-holy in the Northeast, Goa and Kerala. His comment got mixed response on social media.
- 2016: Owaisi was praised for his speech where he said that ISIS is a problem among Muslims and called them dogs of hell.
- 2014: Owaisi allegedly delivered hate speech against BJP’s PM candidate Narendra Modi seeking the Muslim community’s support to his party. He was elected to 16th Loksabha from Hyderabad after defeating Dr.Bhagavanth Rao of BJP.
- 2013: He was detained for organizing rally without permission and carrying a gun without a license in Bidar, Karnataka.
- 2009: He was re-elected to Lok Sabha. He defeated Zahid Ali Khan of TDP. During the elections, ECI ordered to register the case against Owaisi for chasing and beating up Syed Saleemuddin, a polling agent of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in the Moghalpura area. In Parliament he became Member, Committee on Defence and Member, Committee on Ethics. Also leader, All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul Muslimeen, Parliamentary Party.