List of Bank Holidays in May: Banks (both public and private) will remain closed for 13 days in May due to several holidays. Apart from the second Saturdays and Sundays, the banks will remain closed due to various holidays including Labour Day, Buddha Purnima, Eid-ul-Fitr, among others, according to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) website. Banks will be shut for three days on certain dates in May 2020.
All bank customers ought to keep enough cash at home and use net banking or online transactions for various payments during the holidays.
Here is the complete list of national bank holidays in May 2020:
- 1st May: Labour Day (All states)
- 3rd May: Sundays (All states)
- 7th April: Buddha Purnima (Belapur, Mumbai, Nagpur, Panaji, Patna, Thiruvananthapuram, Kolkata, Kochi, Imphal, Hyderabad, Guwahati, Chennai, Bengaluru)
- 8th May: Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti (Kolkata)
- 9th May: Second Saturday (All states)
- 10th May: Sunday (All states)
- 17th May: Sunday (All states)
- 21st May: Shab-e-Kadar (Jammu, Srinagar)
- 22nd May: Jummat-ul-Vida (Jammu, Srinagar)
- 23rd May: Saturday (All states)
- 24th May: Sunday (All states)
- 25th May: Eid-ul-Fitr (All states)
- 31st May: Sunday (All states)
The banks are currently dealing with staff crisis due to the coronavirus lockdown. The lockdown 2.0 is expected to be lifted on May 3. India has been under lockdown since March 25. According to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, there are 29,435 confirmed COVID-19 cases in India. 6,869 people recovered so far and 934 people died due to the virus.