Bappi Lahiri is popularly known as the ‘Disco King’ of Bollywood and has composed/sung some of the most iconic dance numbers in his 40 years long career.
From Yaar Bina Chain Kahan Re, Raat Baaki Baat Baaki or Humko Aaj Kal Hai Intezaar, Tamma Tamma Loge, Bappi’s songs are still a hit at a dance club.
Bappi Lahiri’s distinctive style statement for himself with his trademark gold accessories is something he is synonymous with.
As Bappi Lahiri celebrates his 67th birthday today, here are some of the lesser-known about the Disco king:
- Bappi Lahiri was born as Alokesh Lahiri. He later changed his stage name to Bappi Lahiri. His parents Aparesh Lahiri and Bansari Lahiri too were both renowned singers.
- Another rare fact is that Kishore Kumar was Bappi Lahiri’s maternal uncle. Bappi da looked up to him as his biggest inspiration in life and was really attached to him.
- Bappi Lahiri’s fashion statement is all things gold. He wears at least 7-8 gold chains every day. The reason why he wears so many gold chains is that he believes gold brings him luck.
- He was the only music director who was invited by Micheal Jackson to attend his first-ever live show in Mumbai, which was held in 1996.
- Bappi Lahiri has made guest appearances in several films like Badhti Ka Naam Dadhi, Om Shanti Om, Main Aurr Mrs. Khanna, Nayan Mony, etc. It’s Rocking Dard-E-Disco, which is the only film wherein he played a full-fledged role as the main lead actor.