Basant Panchami is celebrated across India on Wednesday. The festival marks the coming of spring and is celebrated on the fifth day of Hindi Magha month. On this day Maa Saraswati, a Devi according to Hindu traditions, also known as the Goddess of knowledge, arts, and music is worshipped. People wear yellow clothes on Basant Panchami as it considered a favourite by the Goddess.
Popular delicacies are also eaten like rajbhog, khichdi, sondesh, kachauri, labra, etc. Kite flying is done on the auspicious occasion of Basant Panchami.
It is really an important festival for the student community across India. According to traditions in Assam, a practice of writing “Shri” is done during the festival. During this time students are advised to jot down a total of hundred “Shris” of Assamese language to get blessings from beloved maa Saraswati.
The festival is observed in every locality across the northern parts of the country mainly Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bengal, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, and Jharkhand.
Schools and Colleges across the country find it mandatory to host Puja and cultural ceremonies on this day.
Saraswati Puja 2020 Auspicious Timings:
Drik Panchang: 10:45 am on January 29 till 1:19 pm on January 30.
Puja Muhurat: 10:45 am to 12:34 pm on January 29.
Saraswati Puja 2020 Samagri:
- Purified Mango wood
- Havan Samidha
- Shodash Matrika
- Yellow clothes
- Saffron sweets
- Durva dal
- Saraswati yantra
Saraswati Puja 2020 Puja Vidhi:
- Clean your house and puja area
- Place idol or her photo frame on puja sthal
- Put yellow cloth and thread around Goddess Saraswati
- Light brass or an earthen lamp. (use ghee/mustard oil or sesame oil), diyas and incense sticks
- Offer yellow flowers, rice, and bhog
- Recite mantras along with Saraswati Aarti. Do it with utmost devotion.
- Once the idol is placed, you can keep your musical instrument, books to be blessed by the goddess in front of the idol.
Saraswati Puja 2020 Dhyan Mantra:
Om Saraswati Mayaa Drishtwa, Veena Pustak Dharnim |
Hans Vahini Samayuktaa Maa Vidya Daan Karotu Me Om ||