Bhanu Saptami is celebrated on the Saptami day (seventh day of the waxing lunar month) that falls on a Sunday. The sacred day is dedicated to the Sun God (Lord Surya). The Hindu festival is celebrated in the months of Margashirsh, Kartik, Jyeshth, Phalgun, and Magh of the Hindu calendar during the Shukla Paksha. It is believed that those who observe this vrat has a long life.
Significance of Bhanu Saptami:
According to mpanchang, the festival signifies the day when the Lord Surya or the Surya Devta ascended on the Earth on his chariot. The arrival of Lord Surya brought life on the Earth. Lord Surya is seated in a golden chariot on a sacred lotus. The seven horses draw the chariot and these horses denote the seven rays of the Sun. Aruna is the charioteer of Lord Sun, the one who stands in front to save and shield the Earth from the scorching heat of the Sun. God Sun is the creator of all beings and also the Lord of vitality and health. The individuals who worship Lord Sun and observe a fast of Bhanu Saptami are blessed with sound health and good fortune.
Rituals of Bhanu Saptami:
The rituals involved in the festival are:
- Before sunrise, the devotees take a bath, if possible in a holy river and then worship the Lord Surya.
- Women draw beautiful and colorful rangolis in front of their houses to welcome the auspicious rays of the Sun. The rangoli is made in front of the entrance door and the middle of the rangoli, cow dung is burnt.
- In an earthen pot, milk is boiled and is kept facing towards the Sun. As per the Hindu beliefs, it is believed that when the milk is boiling it reaches the Sun.
- After this, a special dessert, Kheer, is prepared which is made up of twelve heaps of grains and wheat. The same is offered to the Surya Devta in the form of a Prasad.
- The same is then donated to the Brahmins as it is believed to be a fruitful act
Benefits of Bhanu Saptami Vrat:
Several beliefs are associated with the benefits of Bhanu Saptami Vrat:
- With the blessings of Surya Dev, the devotees get free from the fatal diseases and attain great fortune and good knowledge.
- It is believed that the devotees who take a bath in the sacred Ganges on the eve of Bhanu Saptami shall never face poverty in their lives.
- Women who perform the Bhanu Saptami puja never become widows in their next births.
- The Bhanu Saptami Vrat blesses the observer with a healthy and happy life and sound wealth.