When the country is kept under the lockdown and everyone is craving for all the good food and the only option left is home-cooked meals. And with a limited stock of essentials, cooking has to be smart. Also, you need to stock up on versatile products that are high on nutrition and can be prepared in multiple ways.
The black gram or Kala chana is essential that you need which has low fat and is high in dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals will be a healthy addition to your diet.
* Sprouts of Kala chana can be consumed as a salad. Simply mix them with chopped onion, tomato, cucumber and a pinch of black salt. Squeeze a lemon and enjoy.
* It can be made into a savory too. Boil or steam until it’s a little tender. In a pan, add some oil, cumin seeds, ginger, chili and toss some onion and tomato. Add dry spices according to your taste along with steamed grams. Cook for 20 minutes and savor it with hot rotis or steamed rice.
* You can also saute it along with carrot, spring onion, capsicum in garlic butter or mayonnaise. Just sprinkle some salt and pepper and you are good to go.
* The soluble fiber in black gram helps in excretion of bile by forming a gel-like substance in the digestive system.
* It is also believed to decrease LDL cholesterol levels.
* The low glycaemic index causes blood sugar to rise moderately, leading to lower blood sugar levels.
* It is also rich in iron, preventing anemia and boosting energy levels.