Constitution day or Samvidahan Diwas is celebrated on November 26 every year. On this day, in 1949, the Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution of India. The Indian Constitution came into force on January 26, 1950. Indian Constitution is the longest in the world.
The preamble of the Indian Constitution declares India as a sovereign, socialist, secular, and democratic republic and aims to secure justice, liberty, equality to all citizens and promote fraternity to maintain unity and integrity of the nation.
Although the constitution was the result of the efforts of various leaders, its chief architect was B R Ambedkar, who was the chairman of the drafting committee. He also served as the first Law and Justice Minister of independent India.
On the occasion of Constitution Day, here are some inspiring and popular quotes by Dr BR Ambedkar:
- “Men are mortal. So are ideas. An idea needs propagation as much as a plant needs watering. Otherwise both will wither and die.”
- “The history of India is nothing but a history of a mortal conflict between Buddhism and Brahminism”.
- “A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society.”
- “I like the religion that teaches liberty, equality and fraternity”.
- “If I find the constitution being misused, I shall be the first to burn it.”
- “Be Educated, Be Organised and Be Agitated”.
- “If you believe in living a respectable life, you believe in self-help which is the best help”.
- “Law and order are the medicine of the body politic and when the body politic gets sick, medicine must be administered.”
- “Equality may be a fiction but nonetheless one must accept it as a governing principle.”
- “A bitter thing cannot be made sweet. The taste of anything can be changed. But poison cannot be changed into nectar.”
- “Lost rights are never regained by appeals to the conscience of the usurpers, but by relentless struggle… Goats are used for sacrificial offerings and not lions.”