DigiLocker is a platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates digitally and was brought into existence to eliminate the use of physical documents. Indian citizens who sign up for a DigiLocker account get a fully dedicated cloud storage space which is linked to their Aadhaar (UIDAI) number.
Organizations registered with Digital Locker can add electronic copies of documents and certificates (e.g. driving license, Voter ID) directly into the citizens lockers. Citizens can also upload copies of the documents in their accounts.
The documents can be electronically signed using the eSign functionality.
According to the official website of Digilocker, the platform come with the following benefits:
- Citizens can access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online. This is convenient and time-saving.
- It reduces the administrative overhead of Government departments by minimizing the use of paper.
- Digital Locker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered issuers.
- Self-uploaded documents can be digitally signed using the eSign facility (which is similar to the process of self-attestation).
- To avail the DigiLocker facility, the users have to download the DigiLocker on a smart-phone.
- Following this, users can enter their mobile number to sign-up. After verifying with the help of OTP, users can set up their user name and password. Authenticate your Aadhaar card and you are all set to upload scanned documents in the locker.