US President Donald Trump on Saturday announced that he will not attend the White House correspondents’ dinner,a high-profile event that draws celebrities, politicians and journalists. The dinner is scheduled for April 29.
“I will not be attending the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner this year. Please wish everyone well and have a great evening!”, Trump tweeted.
Meanwhile, the president of the White House Correspondents’ Association(WHCA) said in an email that the dinner would take place even without Trump’s attendance.
“[The dinner] has been and will continue to be a celebration of the First Amendment and the important role played by an independent news media in a healthy republic,” WHCA president Jeff Mason said. “We look forward to shining a spotlight at the dinner on some of the best political journalism of the past year and recognizing the promising students who represent the next generation of our profession,”he added.
Donald Trump has been continuously battling with the press since his inauguration. Throughout his campaign, he singled out the news outlets Throughout the campaign, he singled out news outlets for being “dishonest” and barred The Washington Post from covering his campaign events. Earlier on February, Trump had called the media “the enemy of American people”.
The dinner is an annual gathering of journalists and the people they cover, typically headlined by the sitting president. The annual dinner began in 1921.