Dussehra 2020: Dussehra 2020 will be celebrated on October 25 after the 9-day Navratri festivities. Dussehra is observed annually to mark the victory of good over evil. Lord Rama is also known as Ramchandra, he is one of the major deities of the Hindu religion and the 7th avatar of God Vishnu.
Lord Ram is one of the most revered and worshipped figures in Vaishnavism. He is also known as ‘Maryada Purushottam’ and ‘Supreme Being’, or the ‘Man of Self-Righteousness’.
One of the many reasons to celebrate this festival is that Lord Rama killed Ravana on this day. We are all set to worship Lord Ram, his principles, and his devotion to his parents.
Here are 10 facts about Lord Ramachandra you must read:
1. Lord Rama is said to be an ideal man of completeness, which is not limited to just being a normal human being, but also mentally and physically.
2. Lord Ram was a devoted son to honour his father’s boon given to his step-mother Kaikeyi, Rama didn’t blink twice before sacrificing his coronation ceremony, leaving his family behind and accepting the 14-year exile.
3. Take a look at Lord Vishnu’s incarnations before becoming Lord Rama – Matsya (Fish), Varaha (Boar), Kurma (Tortoise), Vamana (Dwarf), Narasimha (Man and Lion), and Parshurama (Sage).
4. The book titled ‘Vishnu Sahasranama’, which lists a thousand names of Lord Vishnu, has mentioned that ‘Rama’ is the 394th name of Lord Vishnu.
5. Not many people know that Lord Rama was named by Maharishi Vashistha – the Guru of Raghuvanshi.
6. Another interesting fact about Lord Rama’s name is that it is made up of 2 spores (bijakshara) – Agni Beej and Amrit Beej – which provides strength, value, and an edge to the body, soul, and mind.
7. Lord Rama is a descendent of Raghu and hence belongs to the popular Raghuvamsa dynasty. It is said that whoever when visited the emperor back then, never returned empty-handed.
8. Lord Shiva once said that chanting the name of Lord Rama only thrice equals to chanting the names of thousands of gods and goddesses.
9. Lord Rama had three younger brothers. However, not many people know Lord Rama also had an elder sister, Shanta – who was the daughter of King Dashratha and Kaushalya.
10. It is said that Lord Rama ruled over his kingdom of Ayodhya for nearly 11,000 years, which was later popularly known as ‘Ram Rajya’.