Utrecht (Netherlands), March 19 (IANS) The suspect of tram shooting in the Dutch city of Utrecht and his victims were not linked, said the police and the prosecutor on Tuesday and added they were, therefore, “seriously considering a terrorist motive”.
According to a joint statement by the police and the prosecutor, investigations so far showed no relation between the shooter and the victims, and a note found in a seized car is one of the other reasons to think of a terrorist motive. But other motives are not excluded and the probe is on.
Three people were killed and seven others injured in the tram shooting in Utrecht on Monday. The police arrested the main suspect and another person for involvement. On Monday, Dutch police arrested a third suspect. “We are investigating the role of this third person,” said the police.
All three suspects are being interrogated in the custody. The main suspect is 37-year-old Gökmen Tanis from whom a weapon was recovered.