A shocking incident was reported where cannabis-infused chocolate brownies were served at a community luncheon for senior citizens in Canada. 900 people were present at the Ontario township of Whitestone.
It is still unknown how the drugged brownies reached the elderly people’s meeting place. Investigation to the matter is underway by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) to find more details regarding it.
After people ate the drug-infused cakes, they suffered nausea and vomiting. Around 10 of them were given medical care as they complained of dizziness.
OPP constable Miles Loach initiated a police investigation to find out where the brownies came from. He said to a news portal, “These luncheons are catered. It’s still part of the investigation whether that was what happened [that] somebody brought the wrong batch or somebody spiked them.” Police said that until now there is no one with serious or lasting effects caused by the brownies.
A sei retired caterer James McMurdo told “I have done these events for a number of years for this particular group so, obviously, I’m as mortified as anybody. We have got to get to the bottom of this, no doubt about it.”
Initially, the police have suspected that some members were allergic to some substance in the food item. It was later found that the brownies were drugged. It is still unknown that if someone played a prank or did it deliberately.
Cannabis was legalized in Canada last year.