You might have heard the advantages of ginger from your grandparents or parents. Ginger is a vegetable which grows underground, Indians have been using it for about 4000 years for health benefits and for its medicinal properties. From digestion to cold, it solves all the problems.
Here are some incredible ginger benefits you may not have known about:
1. Digestion: Ginger can work wonders for digestive health. You must have noted your mom using ginger in all food items, it heals the gut, reduces bloating and cramps and awakens taste buds. Before each meal, chop or grate a little fresh ginger, add a few drops of lime juice and a pinch of salt, and chew it up.
2. Inflammation: Its volatile oils have anti-inflammatory properties which makes it an excellent remedy for flu, headaches and menstrual pains. It can also lower medication intake in osteoarthritis.
3. Cold: One of the best remedies for cold is ginger. Combining ginger, cinnamon and lemongrass. Steep 1 tsp of the formula for about 10 mins in 1 cup of hot water, strain it and add honey if you like. This tea will help reduce symptoms of cold.
4. Alleviates Nausea: The active compounds in ginger can ease morning sickness and nausea caused by cancer chemotherapy and after surgery.
5. Recovers appetite: chewing some ginger with lemon and black salt may help recover lost appetite. If you’ve been suffering from the same, you may want to try this home remedy to recover your appetite.
6. Reduces Menstrual Pain: Intake of ginger powder may help significantly to reduce menstrual cramps, also called dysmenorrhea. You can also take a hot cup of ginger tea to bring relief from the pain.
7. Lower Cholesterol Levels: Experts have also linked ginger to lower levels of Low-Density Lipoproteins or “bad” cholesterol, which are known to increase the risk of heart disease.
8. Help Fight Infections: Ginger extract has abilities to inhibit the growth of different types of bacteria, especially oral bacteria linked to inflammatory diseases in the gums, such as gingivitis and periodontitis.
9. Eases Joint Pain: The high anti-inflammatory properties of ginger can ease joint pain to a great extent. It can be used in food, as medicine, dry powder, or fresh root slices.