Gandhi Jayanti 2020: October 2, 2020 marks the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi who is known as the Father of the Nation. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was born on 2nd October 1889 in Porbandar, Gujarat. On this day, it’s a national holiday across the country. People remember Gandhi for his rationality, ideology, honesty, nonviolent nature, and maintaining peace and patriotism.
We are all aware of Gandhi’s role in India’s independence without any violence. October 2 is also observed as the International Day of non-violence as directed by the UN General Assembly. The day is not just celebrated in India but across the globe. Various rallies, debates, lectures, and poster competitions take place around the world.
Here are some famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes Peace, Courage, and Freedom one must read:
1. “Ahimsa is the highest duty. Even if we cannot practice it fully, we should try to understand its spirit and stay away from violence”
2. “My patriotism is nothing special. It’s all embracing and I should reject the patriotism that has tried to overcome the crisis or exploitation of other nationalities”
3. “Forgiveness is the virtue of the brave, not the coward. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the quality of the strong.”
4. “The non-violent soldier of freedom will do nothing for himself, he only fights for the freedom of his country.”
5. “We are not a campaign for power, but purely a non-violent fight for India’s independence.”
6. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
7. “I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”
8. “An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.”
9. 6. “I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles, but today it means getting along with people.”
10. “Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.”
11. “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
12. “Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living?”
13. “Indeed one’s faith in one’s plans and methods is truly tested when the horizon before one is the blackest”.
14. “Those who know how to think need no teachers.”
15. “Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self-sustained.”