Goa Statehood Day: When India attained independence on August 15, 1947, Goa had been under Portuguese control for approximately 450 years. Even after India gained its independence from the British, the Portuguese retained control over Goa and other Indian territories.
The Day commemorates the day that the state was freed from Portuguese control. Goa, a province bounded by Maharashtra and Karnataka, has as its capital Panaji. After being liberated from Portuguese rule in 1987, it joined India and was conferred statehood.
Happy Goa Statehood Day!
- “Warm regards to everyone on Goa Statehood Day. Remember this day with great pride and express gratitude to those who brought us freedom and liberation.”
- “On the occasion of Goa Liberation Day, let us commemorate those who gave their lives for the liberation of Goa. Happy Goa Statehood Day!”
“Every soul demands and every nation desires liberation. On the occasion of Goa Liberation Day, please accept my best regards.”
- “The celebrations of Goa Statehood Day are insufficient without consideration of all those responsible. Best wishes on Goa Liberation Day.”
- “There is nothing more desirable than to be liberated from colonial authority. On the occasion of Goa Liberation Day, please accept my best regards.”
- “Goa Statehood Day will continue to remind us of the significance of liberation for any individual or nation. Happy Goa Statehood Day!”
- “There is nothing more essential for an individual or a state than freedom. Happy Goa Statehood Day to you!”
- I wish everyone a very happy Goa Liberation Day. This day afforded us all the opportunity to live in liberty and be free from our oppressors.
- An individual’s degree of independence from oneself can be estimated. Best regards for Goa Liberation Day.
Goa Statehood Day 2023: Quotations
- “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.”- Rosa Luxemburg
- “People get used to anything. The less you think about your oppression, the more your tolerance for it grows. After a while, people just think oppression is the normal state of things. But to become free, you have to be acutely aware of being a slave.”- Assata Shakur,
- “Leaders who do not act dialogically, but insist on imposing their decisions, do not organize the people–they manipulate them. They do not liberate, nor are they liberated: they oppress.”- Paulo Freire,
- “Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.”- Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Freedom of speech is unnecessary if the people to whom it is granted do not think for themselves.”- Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- Operation Vijay, which involved all three wings of the Indian military, consumed approximately 36 hours of combat to liberate Goa.
- On May 30, 1987, Goa became an independent state.
- In the operation, approximately 22 Indians and 30 Portuguese personnel perished.
- Goa was deemed the “Best Placed State” by the 11th Finance Commission due to the state’s superior infrastructure.
- Goa, Daman, and Diu were part of the Union Territory of India before they were granted statehood.
The Gomant Vibhushan Award is the highest civilian honour bestowed by the government of Goa.
- Anil Kakodkar, a renowned nuclear physicist, was the inaugural beneficiary of the award.
- UNESCO has designated the Bom Jesus Basilica and a number of other Goan structures as “World Heritage Sites.”