MGC (Melbourne Cricket Ground) is currently the largest cricketing ground in the world with a seating capacity of a mind-boggling 90,000 people. Motera Stadium has a significantly larger capacity and will be the largest cricket facility ever made.
The new stadium was built after the old Sardar Patel stadium, with a seating capacity of 53,000, was pulled down in 2015. It has taken four and a half years for Larsen & Toubro (L&T), the constructor, to build it. The foundation stone had been laid in January 2017.
Motera stadium boasts to have an excellent ‘sub-surface’ drainage facilities that will help dry out the outfield within 30 minutes.
“We have planned a sub-surface drainage system in such a way that the entire ground will dry within 30 minutes after the rain stops. It will help us reduce the chances of cancellation of matches due to rain,” Nathwani adds.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) revealed the first look of the new Motera Stadium, also known as Sardar Patel Stadium, which is situated in Gujarat, on Twitter, stating that it will be the world’s largest cricket stadium, beating out Australia’s iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MGC).
— BCCI (@BCCI) February 18, 2020
Here are some facts about the Motera Stadium in Gujarat:
- The Motera Stadium is the largest cricket stadium ever built in the world. It is situated in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- The stadium was first named as the Gujarat Stadium but was later changed to Sardar Patel Stadium as a tribute to the legendary freedom fighter. The stadium is also popularly known as the Motera Stadium.
- The stadium has organised its first ODI game in 1984. The reconstruction of the stadium has been done by the Gujarat government in the present time.
- The renovated stadium will be inaugurated on February 24, 2020.
- The overall renovation of Motera Stadium has cost around 7 billion rupees.
- BCCI has even tweeted that the Motera Stadium will have a seating capacity of 1,10,00, which beats out MGC’s seating capacity.
- The stadium is likely to host an exhibition match between Asia XI and World XI later this year.
- US President Donald Trump will inaugurate the Motera Stadium during his visit Gujarat, according to several media reports.
- ‘’Namaste Trump’, the event to welcome President Donald Trump will take place inside the stadium.
- The Motera Stadium has been designed by a company named stylus