Madrid, Oct 1 (IANS) Romania’s Simona Halep maintained the No. 1 spot of the Women’s Tennis Association rankings released on Monday, ahead of Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki.
Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic and Elina Svitolina of Ukraine climbed one spot up to fourth and fifth, respectively, reports Efe.
Japan’s Naomi Osaka jumped two positions to the sixth, pushing Caroline Garcia of France four places down to the eighth.
Further down the rankings, Puerto Rican Monica Puig pushed up nine spots to be ranked 42nd, after reaching Wuhan Open quarterfinals.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Simona Halep (Romania) 8,061 Points
2. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 5,610
3. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 5,345
4. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 4,635
5. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 4,555
6. Naomi Osaka (Japan) 4,390
7. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 4,345
8. Caroline Garcia (France) 3,925
9. Sloane Stephens (USA) 3,912
10. Julia Goerges (Germany) 3,730