Happy birthday Rahul Dravid: Born on January 1973, Rahul Sharad Dravid is a former Indian cricketer and captain of the Indian national team who currently is serving as its head coach.
Rahul Dravid was born in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Rahul’s affection with the game of cricket never pushed him off track when it came to scoring highly in exams.
Rahul’s father worked in a Jam company which inspired the cricketing prodigy’s nickname ‘Jammy’.
Although the nick name did had a lot to do with Rahul’s sheer persistence on the field, besides him using to wear the bowlers out and bat for hours.
As ‘The Walls’ turns 49 this year, here are some of the lesser-known facts about him-
- He was born in a Marathi family to his parents Pushpa and Sharad. Dravid lived most of his life in Karnataka.
- Rahul’s mother, Pushpa, was a professor of Architecture at the University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE), Bangalore.
- Dravid’s father worked in a Jam factory which earned him the nickname ‘Jammy’. He is also called as ‘The Wall’ and ‘Mr. Dependable’.
- He did his schooling at St. Joseph’s Boys High School, Bangalore and earned a degree in commerce from St. Joseph’s College of Commerce, Bangalore.
- Dravid started playing at an early age of 12. He was quick to impress the selectors and represented his state at U15, U17 and U19 levels.
- Dravid made his Ranji debut in 1991 when he was still attending his college.
- When Greg Chappell took over as Indian coach, Rahul Dravid was promoted as the captain of the national side.
Rahul kept pursuing his passion which was always cricket but alongside, he graduated from St. Joseph’s college of Commerce, Bangalore.
Later, the star cricketer went on to pursue MBA from St. Joseph’s College of Business Administration.
Besides him pursuing his post graduation, Rahul earned his maiden call for the Indian team on the back of some amazing performances in domestic cricket.
Rahul has always been a ‘good boy’ for his parents and in the Indian jersey as well.
The cool-headed champion seldom lost his shape or went overboard with emotions.
Rahul Dravid married surgeon Vijeta Pendharkar back in 2003. Rahul has always kept himself away from controversies and the earnestness and honesty with which he performed everything in life is exemplary.
We wish him love, luck and a very happy birthday!