Onam marks the beginning of the annual harvest season in the southern parts of India. The festival is celebrated by the Malayali Hindu Community. As per the Malayalam calendar, the festival is celebrated in the first month of Chingam, which overlaps with August-September in the Gregorian calendar.
In 2020, the festivities of Onam will begin on August 22 and conclude on September 2.
According to legends, Onam is celebrated to commemorate the arrival of King Mahabali from Patala. The story goes that the demon King Mahabali who ruled in Kerala was loved by all for his generosity and kindness. This threatened the Gods and they sought Lord Vishnu’s help who disguised himself as a poor Brahmin and headed to Kerala. He asked the king to give him land that can be covered within three feet and Mahabali granted his wish. Soon, the Brahmin started to grow in size and covered the sky and earth with his first and second steps. Before he could take his third step, the king offered his head for the last step which led him to Patala. However, the king was granted a blessing for his good deeds to visit his people once every year. Onam marks the day of his annual visit to Earth.
Onam involves a grand celebration across the southern state, Kerala. This year, due to the coronavirus pandemic the celebrations will not involve any type of social gatherings. However, people can still pray and wish for their families and friends on social media.
On the occasion of Onam, here are WhatsApp wishes, messages, and images to share with your friends and families:
Onam WhatsApp wishes:
- May the colour and lights of Onam fill happiness and prosperity in your home. Happy Onam!
- Like the bright flowers of Pokalam, may your life be filled with bright and beautiful colours. Like the boat races of Onam, may you reach your destination with full determination. Like the elaborate feast of Onam Sadhya, may you enjoy the good food every day. Happy Onam!
- On the occasion of Onam, I pray that your life is filled with abundance, happiness, and success. Onam greetings to you and your family.
- Remembering and cherishing the old and prosperous time when we flourished, I wish you luck, happiness and successful life ahead!
- When Onam is here, happiness is in the air. Let the sweet fragrance of flowers fill our homes and the aroma of home-cooked delicacies tease our senses. Happy Onam!
- May King Mahabali bless you with good health and happiness. May all your hopes, dreams and wishes come true. Happy Onam!
- Happy Onam. On this joyous occasion of Onam, I wish you joy and good health, and may you always enjoy the bounty of nature!
- On this festive occasion, I extend my warm wishes to you and your family. May you all be blessed with happiness and prosperity in your life. Onam Greetings to you and your family!
- Here’s wishing you health, wealth and happiness. May the spirit of Onam remains everywhere—where ever you go, whatever you do and whoever you might be with. Happy Onam!