The gangster Vikas Dubey who surrendered in Ujjain on Thursday, in a dramatic early morning development on Friday Dubey was killed in an encounter in Kanpur. The development took place after one of the vehicles, in which he was brought to Kanpur, allegedly overturned amid rains in the city.
According to reports, Dubey was present in the Special Task Force (STF) vehicle that overturned. After this, he reportedly tried to snatch a constable’s pistol and escape from the scene but was gunned down by the police in an encounter.
According to sources, gangster Vikas Dubey attempted to flee after the car overturned. Shots were fired and he has been rushed to a hospital; more details awaited on his condition https://t.co/VPBEQjlcai
— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) July 10, 2020
Several policemen, too, are said to have sustained injuries in the encounter. Dubey’s killing comes exactly a week after eight police personnel, including a Deputy Superintendent, were killed in action after a police team, which had gone to arrest him and which they were part of, came under fire from him and his associates.
10 points you need to know:
1. Vikas Dubey was in his 50s, was recognized 24 hours ago when he bought prasad and entered the Mahakal temple. As security guards confronted him, he hit out at them. Then he was turned in.
2. The car in which Vikas Dubey was being taken overturned on the highway that was slick with rain and he tried to escape after snatching a gun, according to the police.
3. Vikas Dubey was shot dead, like three of his accomplices who, according to the police, had also tried to escape from custody.
4. Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Narottam Mishra said Dubey drove into the state with two aides; he had a fake ID which declared his last name as “Paul”.
5. The SSP Kanpur Dinesh Kumar said “gangster Vikas Dubey had been attempting to take advantage of the accident in which the car overturned. He added that doctors had declared him dead. “Encounter is nothing (sic), all we did was in self defence”
6. History-sheeter surrendered in the famous Mahakaal Temple in Madhya Pradesh’s Ujjain, having been on the run for six days after killing eight police personnel. He reached Ujjain from Haryana’s Faridabad, where he had spent a night at a relative’s place after fleeing from Kanpur.
7. The arrest was reported hours after two of Dubey’s accomplices were shot dead by Uttar Pradesh police in separate encounters. One of them was arrested in Wednesday from the Faridabad hotel where Dubey had been sighted. On the way to UP, he allegedly snatched a pistol from a policeman trying to fix a flat tyre and tried to run away.
8. The UP administration tore down Dubey’s house and launched a massive hunt for him. Over the last week, five of Dubey’s accomplices were killed.
9. Two policemen are among dozen arrested. The policemen, including the inspector in charge of the police station near Dubey’s village, allegedly alerted the gangster to the police team heading to arrest him. Over 60 policemen of that station have been removed and posted in police lines.
10. IG Kanpur Mohit Agarwal says Gangster Vikas Dubey has been killed in an encounter when he had tried to flee after the road accident.