Jakarta, Oct 26 (IANS) Indonesian authorities on Friday revised down the death toll from powerful earthquakes and an ensuing tsunami on Sulawesi Island in September to 2,081 from 2,256.
The multiple quakes followed by a tsunami devastated the Sulawesi province, resulting in a financial loss of 15.29 trillion rupiah ($1.011 billion), National Disaster Management Agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho was cited as saying by Xinhua news agency.
Previously, the agency said that a total of about 10 trillion rupiah ($657 million) was required for reconstruction.
The province will undergo two-year reconstruction and rehabilitation in November, Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla said.
Meanwhile, the authorities revised down the number of internally-displaced persons from 223,751 to 214,925.
All the evacuees were taking shelter in encampment or under tarpaulin in 122 evacuation centres, the spokesman said.
The deadly natural disasters on September 28 destroyed 68,451 houses, 327 religious buildings, seven bridges and cracked roads in 168 spots, according to the agency.