Tripoli, April 6 (IANS) The east-based army of Libya announced the killing of six troops of the UN-backed government’s forces in the south of Tripoli, as the armed conflict between the two rivals continues.
The east-based army’s information office accuses one of the killed troops, a field commander, of involvement in the 2016 deadly bombing of a police training camp in the western city of Zliten, some 160 km east of the capital Tripoli, Xinhua news agency reported on Sunday.
Earlier in the day, the east-based army said it targeted positions of the UN-backed government’s forces, as well as ammunition stores in the city of Zuwara, some 120 km west of Tripoli.
The east-based army also said it shot down three Turkey-made drones belonging to the government forces near the city of Misurata, some 200 km east of Tripoli.
Meanwhile, Mohamed Gonono, spokesman of the UN-backed government’s forces, announced the downing of a cargo plane carrying ammunition belonging to the east-based army in Tarhuna city, some 90 km south of Tripoli.
On April 4, 2019, the east-based army launched a military campaign in and around Tripoli in an attempt to take over the city and topple the rival UN-backed government.
The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has documented at least 356 civilian deaths and 329 injuries since the outbreak of the armed conflict.
Nearly 150,000 people in and around Tripoli have been forced to flee their homes since the beginning of the conflict, and 345,000 civilians remain in frontline areas, while an estimated 749,000 others live in areas affected by the clashes, according to UNSMIL.