Despite the monsoon arrived late this year but it seems to be compensating for the delay. Parts of Maharashtra are witnessing heavy rainfalls leading to waterlogged roads and barely moving trains.
The rains accompanied by high-speed winds and thundering that in most scenarios lead to many accidents. There are many other problems that come in our way during rains like loss of electricity, gas leaks, water logging in houses, flooding, wall collapse, uprooting of trees, etc which can often lead to deaths.
As the rains in Mumbai exceeds the risk of stormy winds and heavier rains, check out the list of Dos and Don’ts to follow to stay safe during heavy rains
Dos during rains
- Avoid stepping out of your home until and unless it is very important
- It is better to not to drive through the submerged water as it can affect the car too. If the car breakdown, it will be difficult to get help in that situation.
- Despite finding the way on your own, walk from the middle of the roads and follow a crowd.
- Carry a power bank of you are stepping out of home and keep all your electronic devices charged all the time.
- Make sure that your home is stocked up with basic essentials like milk, bread, ready to make food packets and medicines.
- Turn off all the electrical appliances if the power goes out
- In case of flooding turn off your gas connections and be alert for gas leaks
- Turn off all the lights and fans if the ceiling gets wet.
- Always drink boiled water to avoid contamination
- Shut your windows as there is a high possibility of certain insects entering in due to the light source. It is advised to use mosquito nets and repellents during monsoon.
- When you come from outside, wash your hands and feet properly
Don’ts during heavy rains
- Do not walk on the paths which are waterlogged as there are chances of drains being opened to let go of the accumulated water.
- The kids should not play in the accumulated water as there is a high possibility of catching diseases due to dirty water.
- Do not touch the electrical pole as there are high chances of getting electric shock especially during rains.
- Do not consume food and juices from the roadside. It is advisable to carry your own boiled water and filtered water in case of an emergency.
- In case of a lot of lightning while you outside then avoid using your cellphone too much.
- Don’t stand under tall trees to get a cover from the rain because if the winds are strong, there is a possibility of a tree falling over. Also, it is advised to avoid parking vehicles under the tree.