India

Mumbai: Fire breaks out at a high-rise building; one dead, 19 injured

A major fire erupted in the early hours of Sunday on the third floor of the 18-storey Samrat Ashoka building located on Keshavrao Khade Marg, Mumbai. Reportedly, a 70-year-old woman died in the incident while 19 have been hospitalised after their injuries.

An official said the fire possibly started in the electrical wiring inside a duct on the third floor and then spread to the wiring right up till the top floor.

“At least 96 residents were stranded in their flats due to the fire and smoke. A rescue operation was launched by the Fire Brigade at 3am and 50 people from the upper floors were brought down using the staircase. Four others were saved using special devices,” the official informed.

The blaze was brought under control at 6 am and a probe has been launched. Initial investigations reveal that the fire started due to short circuit, the official said.

(For more latest news and updates Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter. Download our mobile app )

Latest Update