National Lemon Cupcake Day has been celebrated on December 15th of every year. Cupcakes are the minion version of cakes that is loved by millions of people from all over the world. It’s time to celebrate 1-2-3-4 cakes or cupcakes of lemon flavor.
The delicious delight of the lemon cupcake will make anyone’s tongue submerge with its taste. National Lemon Cupcake Day is a perfect time to excuse yourself and have a byte on the lemon-flavored fairy cakes. The refreshing taste of lemon-flavored cupcakes is an excellent combination of both sweet and sour.
History of National Lemon Cupcake Day:
The exact details concerning the origin, history and founder of the National Lemon Cupcake Day are unknown. The cupcake’s existence can be traced as far back as 1796. Cupcake flavors are endless, and lemon is one among them. A lemon cupcake is designed to serve one person and is prepared with the same ingredients with added lemon flavor. The standard cupcake uses the same basic ingredients such as flour, butter, sugar, and eggs. The cake batter used for preparing the cupcakes may be flavored. A lemon cupcake is made with lemon-flavored batter. It might sometimes have other ingredients stirred in like raisins, berries, nuts, or chocolate chips.
Then, it is baked in a small thin paper or aluminum cup. It might be topped with frosting or other cake decorations. As it is smaller in size, cupcakes get baked much faster than that of the normal layered cake. The cupcakes are called 1-2-3-4 cakes. It is so as the preparation involves 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar, 3 cups of flour, 4 eggs along with 1 cup of milk and 1 spoonful of baking soda. The 1796 cookery book by Amelia Simmons named ‘American Cookery,’ has the first written record of the cupcakes.
How to Celebrate National Lemon Cupcake Day:
Celebrating the National Lemon Cupcake Day is quite simple. As cupcakes are easy to make, you can learn about their making and start preparing a lemon cupcake made with lemon-flavored batter. The use of lemon in the cupcake depends on your taste. You can even use lemon frosting as a topping. Sprinkle the grated lemon zest on these lemon cupcakes. Those who like filled cupcakes can fill them with lemon curd. You can even buy lemon cupcakes from the pastry shops for yourself and your family. Share your lemon cupcake making and celebrations on social media using the hashtag #LemonCupcakeDay.
Lemon Cupcake Recipe:
- One cup of butter
- Two cups of sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh lemon)
- Half cup milk
- Half-cup fresh cream
- Half cup powdered sugar
- 2-tablespoon lemon zest
- Lemon Cream Icing
- Three cups of flour
- Four eggs
- Half-teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven and Line cupcake pan cups with liners (use either paper liners or aluminum foil). Sift the all-purpose flour, milk and the required salt in a bowl. Take another bowl, nicely beat the butter and sugar with a blender until it becomes fluffy and light. Mix eggs, vanilla extract and lemon zest and blend it nicely.
Mix the flour mixture with the butter mixture gently so that it will not form bubbles or flour clots. Fill the liners with the batter; do not fill fully. Just leave some gap so that it will not overflow. Bake it for 15-20 minutes. For icing decorations, mix the fresh cream and powdered sugar and beat nicely. After it becomes thick and creamy, add a tablespoon of lemon juice and agitate. After baking, take the cupcakes out and spread the icing on the top.
Enjoy the Lemon cupcake.
Interesting Facts About Lemon Cupcake Day:
- The year 1796, Amelia Simmons, wrote a cookbook in which she mentioned a recipe named “a light cake to bake in small cups” that is almost similar to that of cupcakes. This is the earliest documented evidence found regarding the preparation of cupcakes. In around 1828, Eliza Leslie wrote a book consisting of almost 75 recipes for pastry, sweetmeats and cakes.
- In the 19th century, the small sized cakes were baked in pottery cups, molds or ramekins.Hence it retained the name as “Cupcake”. Cupcake recipes became famous as 1234 cakes in the home’s kitchens. The term “1234” denotes the volume of four ingredients that is 1 cup Butter, 2Cups- sugar, 3 cups-flour and 4 eggs. This measurement is commonly used in all homemade cupcakes. Around 30 cupcakes can be prepared with these measurements.
- In commercially prepared cupcakes, fillings are injected using syringes.
- In 1907, Ida Freund, a chemistry lecturer, prepared a period table made up of cupcakes to encourage her students.
- The first cupcake bakery “Georgetown Cupcake” was opened in Washington,D.C
- Several sizes of liners are available in the Market or confectionary stores.
- Cupcakes are also called “quarter cakes”. However, gradually the latter faded away and the term “cupcake” remained as the widely used name.