The Utkala Dibasa or Odisha Day is celebrated on 1st April in memory of the formation of the Indian state of Odisha on April 1, 1936, around a decade before India achieved independence from the British colonisation.
The state was established as a separate British India province and the day is celebrated as Orissa Day to encourage the remembrance of the same and foster a spirit of unity among all the citizens of the state.
History of Utkala Dibasa and Formation of Odisha
- In ancient India, Orissa was the core of the Kalinga Kingdom
- In 250 BC, it was conquered by King Ashoka, which resulted in the state flourishing for almost a century under the rule of the Mauryan Dynasty
- Thereafter, many great temples in Puri, Bhubaneshwar, and Konarak were built under the Hindu dynasties such as that of KIng Harshas. King Narasimha Dev built the Sun Temple at Konark
- In 1576, coastal Orissa fell to the Mughal Empire. Parts of the coast were taken over by the Marathas in the mid-1700s
- After the Carnatic wars, the southern coast of Orissa was merged with the Madras Presidency by the East India Company
- Bihar and Orissa became separate provinces born of the Bengal coastal region in 1912
- Modern-day Orissa was formed as a province for the people speaking Oriya on April 1, 1936
Odisha is the 8th largest state by area and the 11th largest by population. The state has the third-largest population of Scheduled Tribes in India. The region is also known as Utkala and is mentioned in India’s national anthem, “Jana Gana Mana”. The language of Odisha is Odia, which is one of the Classical Languages of India.
Odisha Day 2021: Celebrations
Odisha Dibasa or Utkala Dibasa is celebrated every year on 1 April all over Odisha. Thousands of shops and Jhankis make this festival more beautiful. There are competitions arranged by popular local politicians like fireworks competitions. One can enjoy these fireworks displays which make the sky all the more stunning. On that day all across the country, the family of Odia arranges different cultural programs like a sing-song program. Utkala Dibasa the day of remembrance for all Odia helps everybody to be united.