Prime Minister addressed the nation today as the country is exiting from the coronavirus lockdown in a phased manner. Announcing about his today’s address, PM Modi took to Twitter and said, “I will address the nation with a message at 6 pm today. I will share a message with my countrymen and urge the people to join me.”
आज शाम 6 बजे राष्ट्र के नाम संदेश दूंगा। आप जरूर जुड़ें।
Will be sharing a message with my fellow citizens at 6 PM this evening.
Highlights of PM Modi speech, October 21:
- In the fight against coronavirus, the people of India have come a long way from the Janata Curfew to today, says Modi.
- In India, the death rate at per million population is 83. On the contrary, in several countries such as US, UK and Brazil, the number is over 600. India has been successful in saving lives of its citizens better than more prosperous countries, said PM Modi.
- “Many people have stopped taking precautions now. This is not right. If you are careless, walking out without a mask, then you are putting yourself, your family, your family’s children, the elderly in as much trouble”, Modi continued.
- Informing about the vaccine, Modi said, “Several versions of vaccines are being worked upon in India as well. Some of them are at advanced stage. The government is also working to prepare the nation to ensure that the vaccine reaches every India as soon as possible.”
- Speaking about the resumption of economic activities during the Covid-19 pandemic, PM Modi said, “Economic activities are also increasing rapidly over time. Most of us are stepping out of our homes every day to fulfil our responsibilities, to speed up life again. This season of festivals is also slowly returning spark and light to the markets.”
- PM Modi quoted Kabir, says the poet had said one should not rest till crops are brought home from the field. Similary, we should not relax till Covid brought under control. PM also quoted Ramcharitmaanas as saying an enemy, a mistake and an ailment should never be underestimated. Hence, we too should not underestimate Covid threat.
- Concluding the address, Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished the citizens for upcoming festivals.
In his last such address, he had on June 30 announced extension of the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY), a programme to provide free ration for over 80 crore people, mostly poor, by five more months till November end.