Farooq Sheikh was an Indian actor, philanthropist and television presenter. Born on March 25, 1948, the actor was well-known for his stellar performance in the film ‘Chasme Buddoor’.
Farooq Sheikh was born to Mustafa Shaikh, a Mumbai lawyer and Farida Sheikh in Amroli in Gujarat. He studied in St. Mary’s School, Mumbai and perused further studies in St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.
He began his career in Bollywood with ‘Garam Hava’ and acted in memorable films like ‘Umrao Jaan’, ‘Chashme Buddoor’, ‘Shatranj Ke Khiladi’, ‘Kissi Se Na Kehna’, ‘Noorie’ and others, even though he never abandoned theatre, which was his first love.
He was also a part of Ayan Mukerji’s Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani which also starred Deepika Padukone and Ranbir Kapoor. He essayed the role of Ranbir’s father in the same and won hearts with his performance.
In 2010, he was awarded National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor for Lahore.
On the occasion of Farooq Shaikh’s 73rd birth anniversary, here are some lesser-known fact about the actor:
- The actor made his acting debut with MS Sathyu’s Garm Hawa, which is still considered to be one of the greatest movies ever made on Partition. As his first salary, he received a sum of Rs 750.
- He also gained immense recognition as a quiz master on the radio. His participation as an anchor made him a household name.
- He hosted the popular TV show ‘Jeena Issi Ka Naam Hai’ and was loved by the masses for his sense of humour and hosting skills.
- Farooq was also a part of the theatre and TV. His play opposite Shabana Azmi was ‘Tumhari Amrita’ which was loved by many.
- The later actor was married to Roopa Jain who was a classmate of Shabana Azmi.
- The legendary actor took his last breathe on 27 December, 2013 in Dubai.