New Delhi, Prashant Bhushan, lawyer-petitioner in the Rafale jet deal case, on Friday termed as “totally incorrect” the Supreme Court judgment junking the plea for a court-monitored probe into the purchase of the firghter aircraft. He said the ruling was against the interests of people and that they would continue their campaign on the issue.
Reacting to the verdict, he said it was “unfortunate” that “such a wrong judgement” had come from the apex court even after the government conveyed to it that Dassault gave a contract to Anil Ambani’s firm when the Defence Procurement Procedure and Defence Offset Guidelines clearly said that “no offset contract can be given without the approval of the Defence Minister”.
“In my opinion, the judgment is totally incorrect. We had sought an investigation. If anyone alleges that there is corruption in a deal and gives a proof, an investigation must happen,” Bhushan told reporters outside the court.
He said the country suffered a loss of Rs 20,000 crore after Prime Minister Narendra Modi struck the deal for Euro 8.2 billion as Indian Air Force experts had earlier fixed a benchmark price at Euro 5.2 billion.
He said the court dismissed the petition saying its judicial review on the issue is limited.
It is a limited clean chit to government and as such the campaign against the deal would continue. The decision on filing a review petition would be taken later, Bhushan said.