23rd March 2021 marks the Shaheed Diwas or Martyrs’ Day every year in India. This day is to celebrate the lives of all those bravehearts who laid down their lives for the service of our country and freedom. The day is observed twice, once on January 30 and once on March 23.
While on January 30, Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated, on March 23, Bravehearts Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru, and Sukhdev Thapar were hanged to death by the British.
To mark this day of heroics and greatness, here are the quotes, messages, and images to share with your loved ones and friends.
Quotes and Messages for Shaheed Diwas 2021 or Martyrs Day
- We don’t know how God chooses martyrs. We do know that they give us the most precious gift they possess – their very lives—Cesar Chavez
- A martyr’s disciples suffer more than the martyr—Friedrich Nietzsche
- The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins—Soren Kierkegaard
- Martyrdom does not end something, it only a beginning—Indira Gandhi
- It is the cause, not the death, that makes the martyr—Napoleon Bonaparte
- Martyrdom covers a multitude of sins—Mark Twain
- History is changed by martyrs who tell the truth—Miguel Syjuco
- I do believe that ideas ripen quickly when nourished by the blood of martyrs—Mahatma Gandhi
- The path of those who preach love, and not hatred, is not easy. They often have to wear a crown of thorns—Nelson Mandela
- Our admiration is so given to dead martyrs that we have little time for living heroes—Elbert Hubbard
- “The martyr sacrifices themselves entirely in vain. Or rather not in vain; for they make the selfish more selfish, the lazy more lazy, the narrow narrower.” — Florence Nightingale
- “A martyr can never cooperate with death, go to death in a way that they’re not trying to escape.” — Stanley Hauerwas
Images for Shaheed Diwas 2021 or Martyrs Day