After three years delay, the State Election Commission declared the rural local body polling dates in Tamil Nadu. The elections will be conducted across two phases on December 27 and December 30.
While, the election dates for urban local bodies, will be announced later, Tamil Nadu State Election Commissioner R Palaniswamy said, citing administrative reasons.
Nominations for the local body elections will begin on December 6 and will remain open till December 13.
Tamil Nadu’s local body polls were due to be held in October 2016 and were initially stayed by the apex court after the political party DMK filed a plea to postpone the polls until reservation and delimitation of wards are completed.
The following posts would be filled by the representatives of local bodies elected directly:
- 31 district panchayat presidents,
- 31 district panchayat vice presidents,
- 388 panchayat union chairpersons,
- 388 panchayat union vice presidents
- and 12,524 vice-chairpersons for village panchayats.
The local body polls are likely to see a contest with AIADMK, DMK and the AMMK in the fray. The AIADMK is in an alliance with the BJP, PMK and the DMDK, while the DMK is in alliance with Congress, VCK and MDMK.
Besides, elections to 388 panchayat unions, 6,471 panchayat union ward councillors, 12,524 village panchayat presidents and 99,324 village panchayat Ward member posts.
In the first phase, 1.64 core voters and in the second phase 1.67 core voters would be exercising their franchise.
POLLING SCHEDULE FOR TAMIL NADU RURAL LOCAL BODIES
- Issue of notification: December 6
- Last date for filing nominations: December 13
- Scrutiny of nominations: December 16
- Withdrawal of nominations: December 18
- First Phase of elections: December 27
- Second Phase of elections: December 30
- Polling date: January 2, 2020
- Election process to be completed on: January 4, 2020
- The first meeting of the elected representatives: January 6, 2020
- Date of the election of local body chiefs through indirect elections: January 11, 2020.