Urad Dal Health Benefits: Lentils and beans play an important role in improving our health. These are mostly contained in the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. Urad dal, also called Split Black Gram, is one of the famous lentils used in southern part of Asia, especially in Indian cuisine. Moreover, Urad dal can be used to prepare many popular dishes, such as dahi vada, kachori, medu vada, dal makhani, etc.
Split Black gram is scientifically called Wigna Mungo and it is either used in split form or in whole. Urad dal is brimming with many health benefits such as rich in protein, fat and carbohydrates. It consists of B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, potassium and folic acid. Urad Dal helps smooth digestion, improve heart health and more to count.
Let’s take a look at the health benefits of urad dal and also 5 reasons why you should include Split Black gram in your diet:
1. Smooth Digestion – Urad dal is rich in fibre, both soluble and insoluble, which is known to improve our digestion. Dietary fibre in urad dal enables bulk up the stool and stimulate peristaltic motion. It is effective in healing piles, colic disorder and is known to be a good liver stimulant.
2. Provides Energy – Urad dal is high in iron content, which helps to provide energy to the body by stimulating the production of red blood cells, which are responsible for transporting oxygen to all body organs. This helps to increase the overall energy levels in your body and keeps you active.
3. Improves Bone Health – The presence of important minerals such as magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and calcium aids in improving the bone density.
4. Good Heart Health – Urad dal consist of high quantities of fibre, magnesium and potassium, which are extremely beneficial for our heart health. It helps to keep our cardiovascular system healthy by maintaining the cholesterol levels and prevent atherosclerosis.
5. Good For Diabetics – The fibres present in urad dal help to regulate the nutrient absorbed by the digestive tract, thereby, helping maintain sugar and glucose levels.
Urad dal is indeed healthy and must be added quite frequently in your daily diet chart for good health. Urad dal significantly increases uric acid levels and therefore, people suffering from kidney stones, gallstones or gout, should consume urad in moderation or it is better for them to consult a doctor or nutritionist before including this Dal in their meal.
Also Read: 6 natural ways to cure Thyroid disease