The country is celebrating its Constitution Day today. The Constituent Assembly formally adopted the Constitution of India on 26 November 1949, which came into force on 26 January 1950.
On 19 November 2015, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment had decided to celebrate 26 November every year as ‘Constitution Day’ to promote the values of the Constitution among the citizens.
Dr. Ambedkar’s role:
‘Constitution Day’ (Constitution Day) in a way the first law minister Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar (Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar) is also a symbol of an homage, who was instrumental in the creation of the Constitution Was. Well, there is a lot about the constitution that we should know. But here we talk about some key facts:
- The Constitution of India was prepared between December 1946 and December 1949. It was a very challenging time, as religious riots, caste wars and gender inequality were threatening the social fabric of the country.
- The Constitution of India lays down the framework defining the fundamental political principles, establishes the structure, procedures, powers and duties of government institutions and lays down the fundamental rights, directive principles and duties of citizens.
- The Constituent Assemblywas drafted, which was chosen by the elected members of the provincial legislatures. The Constituent Assembly of 389 members took two years, eleven months and seventeen days to complete its historic task of making a constitution for independent India. During this, 11 sessions with a duration of 165 days were conducted. On August 29, 1947, the Constituent Assembly constituted the Drafting Committee under the chairmanship of Dr. BR Ambedkar to prepare a draft constitution.
- It was neither printed or typed. It was hand written in both Hindi and English languages.
- When the Indian Constitution came into existence, women in India got the right to vote.
- Our Constitution is also known as ‘Bag of Borrowings’ as it has incorporated many ideas from other countries.
World’s largest constitution:
Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar is known as the architect of the Constitution of India. He has prepared the world’s largest constitution in the form of the Indian Constitution. It was made after examining all the constitutions of the world. It is considered the largest constitution in the world, consisting of 448 articles, 12 schedules and 94 amendments. This is a handwritten constitution which has 48 articles. It took 2 years 11 months and 17 days to prepare it.
What the original looks like:
- 16 inches wide The original constitution
- Written on 22-inch long parchment sheets
- Contains 251 pages This manuscript