World Art Day is observed across the globe on April 15 every year. The day intends to promote awareness of creative activity worldwide. The date was decided to honour the birthday of Leonardo da Vinci, the painter of the famous Mona Lisa painting.
Date, History, Significance of the occasion:
World Art Day was first celebrated in 2012 with support from a committee of 150 artists and quickly reached a global scale. The date was decided in honour of Leonardo da Vinci, who was born on April 15th, 1452. UNESCO has picked up on the initiative last year, calling it a celebration “to promote the development, diffusion, and enjoyment of art”.
Historically, the five main fine arts were painting, sculpture, architecture, music, and poetry. Artists put in a great deal of time and energy into their work and their work deserves to be celebrated.
Here are some wishes and quotes to celebrate the day of art and creativity:
- We all are gifted with some form of art. We all are gifted with some kind of creativity. We just need to explore it. Happy World Art Day.
- There is no end to creativity and art. Let us celebrate World Art Day by using art as a way to express ourselves to the world.
- Art is never ever created while thinking about it.
- When work and love meet, art is born.
- Art is catharsis.
- Art always makes you a better person.
- You have to be sensitive to be an artist.
- Never be afraid to draw if you don’t have an eraser.
- Be confident that you can paint.
- You can never paint in fear.
- A work of art that did not begin in emotion is not art – Paul Cezanne
- The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls – Pablo Picasso
- The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance – Aristotle
- A man paints with his brains and not with his hands – Michelangelo
- The highest art is always the most religious, and the greatest artist is always a devout person – Abraham Lincoln
- The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable ― Cesar A. Cruz
- If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.– Edward Hopper.