World Day of War Orphans reminds the world that caring for children in traumatic circumstances is a priority particularly amid the pandemic.
Children caught in crossfire or estranged from parents need utmost care to help heal the mental wounds of war, restart schools and normal life.
World Day of War Orphans is marked every year on January 6. The day aims to spread awareness and address the crises faced by war orphans or children in conflict.
Also children growing up in orphanages very often face emotional and social discrimination. The World Day of War Orphans was started by the French body, SOS Enfants en Détresse.
Displaced children are a big part of IDPs (International Displaced Persons) who are forced to leave everything – including their homes, places of work and possessions.
It is important that they don’t suffer and die of hunger and disease.
World Day of War Orphans 2022: History:
World Day of War Orphans was started by the French organization, SOS Enfants en Detresses. The day highlights the lives of the children who were affected by the outcomes of the war and aims for the betterment of their future.
World Day of War Orphans 2022: Significance
As per a data by UNICEF, in the wars of 18th, 19th and the early 20th century, around half of the victims were civilians and this number increased gradually till 2001. Since the said year, the number has declined at a rate of 0.7% per year.
In World War II, around two-thirds of the victims were civilians and by the end of the 1980s, the number rose to 90%.
World Day of War Orphans 2022: Quotes
- My passion is kids, more than just kids are underprivileged kids and orphans.
- God is pleased with no music below so much as with the thanksgiving songs of relieved widows and supported orphans; of rejoicing, comforted, and thankful persons.
- I love the holiday season, almost as much as I love touching myself in front of orphans.
- What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
- What sad faces one always sees in the asylums for orphans! It is more fatal to neglect the heart than the head.
- Where can we hide in fair weather, orphans of the storm?
World Day of War Orphans 2022: Importance
It highlights the devastating effects of war: While this day focuses on war orphans, it draws attention to all who have been affected by war. We gain a better understanding of how destructive war can be and the loss it brings.
It’s a special day for orphans: This day is particularly important for orphans, as it tells their devastating stories and shines a light on their needs. Our observance of this day brings them hope and lets them know their cries are being heard.
Orphan lives matter: World Day for War Orphans seeks to highlight the harsh conditions children left orphaned by war experience. It raises awareness about the poor conditions they are often forced to live in and urges us to take action in any way to improve their wellbeing.