Bangkok, Sep 16 (IANS) Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Wednesday said that the emergency decree will be extended for another three months in three southern provinces of the country.
They are Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani Provinces.
“The Royal Gazette had already published the announcement on its website after I signed the approval,” confirmed Prayut.
The extension announcement was signed by Prayut on September 11 under the Emergency Decree on Public Administration in an Emergency Situation, Xinhua news agency reported.
The emergency extension had also been approved by the Cabinet.
The areas under emergency include all districts in the three provinces except Srisakhon, Su-Ngai Kolok and Sukirin in Narathiwat, Betong in Yala and Maikaen and Maelan in Pattani.
The announcement said the extension would enable officials to track down and arrest insurgents who aim to undermine national security through violence and terror actions, as well as ensure the safety of people in the areas.
The Prime Minister also said that all security units in the three provinces must build up public confidence by conducting a thorough assessment of the situation, taking the offensive in intelligence operations and ensuring justice in law enforcement.
Thailand’s southern insurgency has been prevalent for 15 years.