A huge reason of why we feel safe sleeping at night is the Indian army. The defenders of our wall give their all so that we the citizens of the country can feel at ease. Every year Army Day is celebrated on 15 January to commemorate Lt Gen K M Cariappa’s taking over as the first commander-in-chief from General Sir Francis Butcher in 1949.
On this day tributes are paid to the soldiers who lost their lives in the battlefield at the Amar Jawan Jyoti, India Gate, New Delhi. At all the Army Command headquarters of the country, celebrations take place.
As the calendar turns to Army day, we bring you some facts you might not know about the Indian Army.
1. The Motto of our Army is Service before self and the defenders of our country have never left any stone unturned to prove it right
2. Indian Army was established in 1776 under British government
3. Siachen Glacier: Indian Army controls the highest battlefield of the world
4. Indian Army is the second largest voluntary military unit on the planet
5. Operation Rahat: Army carried out one of the biggest civilian rescue programs in the world during the 2013 Uttarakhand floods