Happy birthday Abhishek Bachchan: Few years ago, on Koffee With Karan, Abhishek Bachchan’s sister Shweta Nanda described him as a ‘very loyal and dedicated family man’. “Not just as a son but also as a husband,” she said, adding that she finds this to be his best quality.
Indeed, Abhishek dotes on his family, including wife Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, daughter Aaradhya, father Amitabh Bachchan, mother Jaya Bachchan, sister Shweta, niece Navya Naveli Nanda and nephew Agastya Nanda.
Happy birthday Abhishek Bachchan: As he turns 46 today, look at some precious moments of his life
- Born on February 5, 1976, Abhishek is the second child of Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan. His parents are counted among India’s most distinguished actors. Abhishek’s elder sister Shweta is married to businessman Nikhil Nanda. He is the grandson of poet Harivansh Rai and activist Teji Bachchan.
- Dyslexic as a child, Abhishek went to a variety of schools in Delhi and in Mumbai and finally to Aiglon College in Switzerland. He was finishing up at Boston University but had to return home when his father’s company, ABCL, went bankrupt.
- There was no beginner’s luck for Abhishek. His first film Refugee was released in the year 2000. Directed by J P Dutta and co-starring Kareena Kapoor, it failed to make an impression at the box office. However, Abhishek was nominated for the Filmfare Best Male Debut Award. His second and third films, Dhai Akshar Prem Ke, opposite future wife Aishwarya Rai, and Tera Jadoo Chal Gaya, which were released in the same year, were also complete failures.
- Abhishek continued to act in movies like Bas Itna Sa Khwaab Hai but without any major success.
- Apart from a dozen Bollywood films, he also acted in a few Bengali films like Desh, which featured his mother Jaya Bachchan.
- In 2003, Abhishek teamed up with his first heroine Kareena once again for Sooraj Barjatya’s Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon and earned praise for his performance.
- Meanwhile, Mumbai Se Aaya Mera Dost, Kuch Naa Kaho and Zameen in 2003 proved duds for Abhishek.
- In 2004, Abhishek achieved a breakthrough with Mani Ratnam’s Yuva, which not only received great critical praise, but also brought accolades for his performance.
- This was also the year he acted in the first of the Dhoom films which was a major hit.
- The alliance between Abhishek and Ram Gopal Varma started in 2004 with the film Naach. The film, which starred Antara Mali along with Abhishek was one of RGV’s massive failures.
- 2005 proved very lucky for Abhishek. The first release of the year was Bunty Aur Babli, opposite Rani Mukerji, one of his most frequent leading ladies. The movie did very well at the box office.
- The other big hits of 2005 were Sarkar, co-starring father Amitabh Bachchan, Dus and Bluffmaster.
- In 2006, Abhishek co-starred with Aishwarya in Umrao Jaan. True love was waiting around the corner. They fell in love on set and announced their engagement on January 14, 2007.
- Abhishek also reprised his role as ACP Jai Dixit in the superhit Dhoom: 2 in 2006, and co-starred with his father Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukerji and Preity Zinta in Karan Johar’s Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna.
- Just a month before Aishwarya and Abhishek married in 2007, Mani Ratnam’s hit Guru, starring the couple, released.
- Abhishek and Aishwarya married on April 20, 2007, according to traditional Hindu rites of the South Indian Bunt community, to which she belongs.
- North Indian and Bengali ceremonies were also performed. The wedding took place in a private ceremony at the Bachchan residence Prateeksha in Mumbai.
- After a series of flops Abhishek came back in 2008 with Ram Gopal Varma Sarkar Raj in 2008, a sequel to Sarkar, co-starring father Amitabh Bachchan and wife Aishwarya. The film was a hit.
- Goldie Behl’s Drona, opposite Priyanka Chopra, where he tried his hand at sci-fi and mythology, proved one of Abhishek’s biggest flops.
- Abhishek restored his plunging success rate with his last film of 2008, the hugely popular Dostana directed by Tarun Mansukhani, in which he starred with John Abraham and Priyanka Chopra.
- Abhishek also worked in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s Delhi 6, opposite Sonam Kapoor. The movie was a massive flop.
- In 2009, Abhishek starred in R Balki’s Paa, opposite Vidya Balan and played dad to his own father, Amitabh Bachchan, who played the role of a 13-year-old suffering from progeria.
- Then came Mani Ratnam’s Raavan, opposite wife Aishwarya, and Ashutosh Gowariker’s Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey with Deepika Padukone in 2010. Both films sank without a trace.
- Abhishek and Aishwarya also appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2009.
- Aishwarya Rai gave birth to daughter Aaradhya on November 16, 2011.
- 2012 proved lucky for Junior Bachchan. He received the Screen Award for Best Comedian for his role in the superhit Bol Bachchan.
- Abhishek starred in Farah Khan’s 2014 blockbuster film Happy New Year with Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Boman Irani, Sonu Sood and Vivaan Shah.
- Abhishek followed by starring in films such as All Is Well and Housefull 3 but he was critically acclaimed for his performance in Anurag Kashyap’s Manmarziyan, released in 2018.
- Abhishek Bachchan was last seen in Anurag Basu’s Ludo, in which he played a retired goon, described as a ‘hard exterior with a soft heart’ kind of character.”
- The actor also has The Big Bull and a standalone film on Bob Biswas, a character that was introduced in Sujoy Ghosh’s 2012 film Kahaani in the line-up. Shah Rukh Khan’s Red Chillies Entertainment will produce the film.
- Abhishek also shifted focus to promote sports like football and kabaddi in the country in 2015. He co-owns football team Chennaiyin FC in the Indian Super League and actively promotes the game. His wife Aishwarya Rai has been spotted with him at various matches.Junior Bachchan also owns Jaipur Pink Panthers – a franchise in the Pro Kabaddi League.
- Abhishek Bachchan was diagnosed with COVID-19 last to last year. He recovered and returned home after spending weeks in Mumbai’s Nanavati Hospital.
Here’s wishing Abhishek a very happy birthday and a great year ahead.