Indian Army Day 2022: Army Day is celebrated on January 15 every year to honor the soldiers of the country, who have set the greatest example of selfless service and brotherhood and more than anything the love for the country.
Army Day is celebrated every year at all Army Command headquarters. The nation pays tribute to the valor of the brave hearts on this day and thank them for their selfless service.
History of Army Day:
Army Day is celebrated on January 15 every year. It was on this date in 1949, the Indian Army got its first army chief Lieutenant General KM Cariappa. General (later Field Marshal) KM Cariappa was appointed as Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army on January 15, 1949.
He was the first Indian to be appointed as Commander-in-Chief. He took over the reins of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief of India.
He adopted the slogan ‘Jail Hindi’ which means ‘Victory of India’.
He is also one of only two Indian Army officers to hold the Five-star rank of Field Marshal; the other being Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw.
Cariappa led Indian forces on the Western Front during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947.
Know about Field Marshal KM Cariappa:
- Fondly called ‘Kipper’, by his colleagues, Field Marshal KM Cariappa received military training during World War I (1914-18)
- In 1919, Field Marshal KM Cariappa was in the first group of Indians to be selected; he was sent to Indore for training. Later he was commissioned into the Carnatic Infantry
- After an outstanding career, Field Marshal KM Cariappa became the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army on 15th January, 1949
- Field Marshal KM Cariappa was conferred the ‘Order of the Chief Commander of the Legion of Merit’ – the first ever award of its kind given to an Indian General, by President Harry Truman
- Field Marshal KM Cariappa exhibited the highest standards of discipline and compassion, inspiring people across generations
- In 1983, he was given the title of Field Marshal (five stars). The only other person who has been conferred the title so far is Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw in 1973
- After retiring from the Indian Army, Field Marshal KM Cariappa served as High Commissioner to Australia and New Zealand till 1956
Inspirational Indian Army Quotes:
- “The enemy is only 50 yards from us. We are heavily outnumbered. We are under devastating fire. I shall not withdraw an inch but will fight to our last man and our last round.” – Major Som Nath Sharma
- “There will be no withdrawal without written orders and these orders shall never be issued.”- Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
- “You have never lived until You’ve almost died, And for those who choose to fight, Life has a special flavor, The protected will never know.” – Capt R Subramaniam
- “We fight to win and win with a knockout because there are no runners up in war.” – General JJ Singh
- “No Sir, I will not abandon my tank. My gun is still working and I will get these bastards.” – Lt. Arun Kehtarpal
- “If death strikes, before I prove my blood, I swear I’ll kill death.” – Capt. Manoj Kumar Pandey
- ”Some goals are so worthy, it’s glorious even to fail.” – Capt Manoj Kumar Pande