Mumbai: Five labourers who were carrying out repair work to one of the water chambers at August Kranti Maidan’s Nana Chowk, Grant Road were taken to the Nair hospital on late Saturday night after they complaint of uneasiness. Four out of five suffered injuries while one was confirmed brought dead.
There have been many cases and reports of labourer deaths due to working inside the sewer lines and the BMC had decided that no more manual cleaning of the sewers lines will now take place and if someone is caught doing so then BMC will take immediate action against them.
All five labourers were the employees of BMC’s water department. Hospital sources said that they might have inhaled poisonous gases while working on the water pipeline. The deceased Rakesh Nizab (45) was declared dead on arrival at the hospital. The report states ‘No natural cause’ as the reason for the death.
The hospital has refused to make any official comment until the reports of the sample sent for chemical analysis to Kalina Forensic lab comes. The other four injured employees are still in the hospital and have been kept under observation.
Earlier also there have been cases reported where labourers have died because of repairing or manually cleaning the sewer lines for long hours. Though hardly anyone follows the rule, maybe this time BMC will take strict action if the rules are not followed.