As the capital reels under the burden of heavy rain, creating a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes, prevention is the only way one can hope to stay away from chikungunya, dengue and other similar vector borne diseases.
Chikungunya is caused by the bite of Aedes mosquitoes, the cases of which increase especially in monsoons. According to reports, more than 450 cases of chikungunya were recorded in the Capital in just one week.
Symptoms- The symptoms include high fever, pain in the joints, rash and in some cases, even swelling of the joints. The symptoms are also subjective and depend upon the immunity of different people. The symptoms of dengue and chikungunya are similar in nascent stages but in case of the former joints pain is more pronounced, while in cases of dengue, patients might even feel retro-orbital pain i.e pain behind the eyes.
Detection- NS1 Antigen and IgM Chikungunya antibodies are the tests which are carried out to detect the disease.
Prevention- The general prevention includes, wearing full sleeve clothes, not letting water accumulate and keeping the body hydrated. Basically, avoiding mosquito breeding at any cost.
Remedies- Doctors advice taking “only paracetamol” in case of high fevers and these are a few homemade remedies and concoctions that can help to a great extent.
- Tulsi (holy basil) leaves are very effective when it comes to treating chikungunya fever. Consuming 5-6 basil leaves after boiling in water and preparing a concoction, reduces fever and boosts immunity.
- Papaya leaves boost immunity and increase the falling blood platelet count. Taking the juice with “giloy” (Chenopodium Quinoa) juice helps the patient to a great extent.
- Eating raw carrots can increase the immunity and reduce complications like joint pains and aches.
- Drinking coconut water is one of the best home remedies as it helps the patients to recover fast by detoxifying the liver.
- Application of garlic paste or clove oil with pepper can provide relief from painful joints.
- Taking grapes with cow’s milk is another effective remedy for chikungunya as it gives relief from severe symptoms of chikungunya such as pain and fever.
- Fruits like Kiwi and grapes are consumed to increase the platelet count.