Charlie Chaplin, the name doesn’t need an introduction.
The English comic actor is perhaps ageless. Defying trends in Cinema, the films by Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin have spanned decades, bringing something different to each new generation of cinema lovers. Born on April 16, 1889, today we mark his 132nd birth anniversary.
With a career that spanned more than 75 years, the actor, filmmaker, composer, and author rose to fame, popularly known for his screen persona ‘the Tramp’, and went on to receive three Oscars, out of which two were honorary awards.
The first was an honorary award for writing, directing, acting, and producing ‘The Circus’, followed by his second honorary Academy Award in 1972. He then went on to win an Oscar for Best Score for ‘Limelight’ in 1973.
The legend breathed his last on December 25, 1977, in Switzerland. But his death was not without controversy. Three months after his death, Chaplin’s corpse was stolen, only to be recovered later and then cremated.
On the occasion of Charlie Chaplin’s 132nd birth anniversary, here are 10 inspiring quotes by the English comic actor:
- “I thought I would dress in baggy pants, big shoes, a cane, and a derby hat. everything a contradiction: the pants baggy, the coat tight, the hat small and the shoes large.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “A tramp, a gentleman, a poet, a dreamer, a lonely fellow, always hopeful of romance and adventure.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “That is why, no matter how desperate the predicament is, I am always very much in earnest about clutching my cane, straightening my derby hat and fixing my tie, even though I have just landed on my head.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “I had no idea of the character. But the moment I was dressed, the clothes and the make-up made me feel the person he was. I began to know him, and by the time I walked onto the stage he was fully born.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “I am for people. I can’t help it.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “I am at peace with God. My conflict is with Man.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “Remember, you can always stoop and pick up nothing.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune.” -Charlie Chaplin
- “I don’t believe that the public knows what it wants; this is the conclusion that I have drawn from my career.” -Charlie Chaplin