Days after the brutal maoist attack in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district, in which 25 CRPF personnel were killed, the body of a maoist has been recovered last night from the site. The 25 CRPF personnel were killed earlier this week by the Maoist in an ambush in Burkapal area.
“The body of a Naxalite was recovered last night from the forest, just 500 metres away from the spot where the gun battle had taken place between the CRPF and the rebels on April 24,” special director general of police (anti-Naxal operations) D M Awasthi said as per a report in The Hindu.
The forces were carrying out the combing operations while acting on reports of the movement of maoists in the area after the ambush. The patrolling team found the body of the maoist who was said to be killed in the ambush, said Awasthi. However, the body was yet to be recognised.
Post the ambush, there were reports of the casualty of several other Maoists in the combat. However, the rebels had managed to drag them inside the forest. The search operation is still in progress in the interiors of the region.
At least 25 paramilitary personnel were killed and six others were injured in Chhattisgarh’s south Sukma region on Monday by the suspected Maoist militants. As per the survivors of the attack, around 300 militants ambushed them, firing from hilltops. The personnel were eating lunch when they were targeted.
The attack happened between the Burkapal-Chintagufa areas in the Maoist centre of Bastar. The attack was said to be worst in seven years. In 2010, insurgents killed 75 CRPF troopers in the same region.