In twin blasts that happened in Jakarta on Wednesday night, two suspected suicide bombers killed three Indonesian police officers and injured 10 people. The blasts happened near a bus station in the eastern part of the capital, according to police. The blasts went off five minutes apart at Jakarta’s Kampung Melayu terminal, police said.
National Police spokesman Setyo Wasisto said three officers had been killed and reported that there were two suicide bombers. Five officers and five civilians were injured, he added.
Wasisto said that police had not confirmed which terrorist organisation has claimed responsibility for the attack.
“The police officers were on duty to guard a group of people who were holding a parade. The parade hadn’t passed yet when the blast happened,” Wasisto told a news conference. “The two suspects were both males. Their identities will be released later,” he said.
Wasisto said the explosives appeared to have been packed into pressure cookers.
In January 2016, four militants had killed four people an assault in the heart of Jakarta. The authorities believe that over 400 Indonesians have joined the militant group in Syria, and could pose a more deadly threat if they return to the country.