Word Nerd Day is an annual fun celebration observed on January 9th of every year. Communication is a vital tool in this world, and anyone needs words to tell what he/she feels. Every language has plenty of words and meanings.
If you are very much interested in knowing different words or love to find fancy and unusual words. Word Nerd Day is a perfect time for you to celebrate your nerdiness. Showcase your vocabulary skills to others on this Day and make yourself stand out of the crowd.
Word Nerd Day 2022: History
The Word Nerd Day’s origin, history, and the person who created this celebration Day are unknown. There is no mention regarding the year from which this Day has been celebrated.
However, we could think that the person who created this Day loves different words and languages and the person who knows it. Thus, this Day celebrates one’s expansive vocabulary skills and nerdiness.
The people are encouraged to learn more about the origin, synonym, and usages of words in their language by picking up their dictionaries and thesauruses.
Irrespective of the word being long or short or silly or hard and if you are a connoisseur of words, then you can enter into this fun celebration. Celebrate all the lengthy, intricate, fancy, and unusual words and the person who uses them.
How to celebrate Word Nerd Day:
Celebrating the Word Nerd Day is quite simple. You are encouraged to show off your vocabulary skills and talents on this Day. Justify how much knowledge you have about the words to others.
If you love to know all those complicated, unusual words, then take out your dictionary to start learning two new words a day. Remember those words and use them appropriately.
If you find no time to take the dictionary itself, then make use of the dictionary apps available for smartphones that list words and their meanings every day with a notification.
Encourage your children to learn different words and make it a habit from their childhood. You can even call your family and friends to play crossword puzzles, word building, and other such word games.
How to observe Word Nerd Day:
- Are you a word nerd? Be proud of who you are. Use words no less than 7 letters long in all your conversations.
- Do crosswords and play word puzzles all day long.
- Spend the day learning about new words and finding occasions to use them.
Facts about the English language to geek out over:
- It’s shortest sentence is one of the most common: The shortest possible complete sentence in the English language is simply ‘I am.’ Small but powerful, we use this all the time without even realizing its significance.
- It grows every 2 hours: On average, a new word is added to the English dictionary every two hours, with nearly 4,000 words added every year.
- The shortest word is the oldest and most frequent: The first-ever words were those used to describe ourselves, so it should come as no surprise that ‘I’ is one of the oldest words and it is used most frequently in conversation.
- Some words are the same when read backward: A palindrome is a word that is the same when read either backward or forward. Frequently used palindromes include ‘racecar’, ‘kayak’, and even phrases like ‘never odd or even’.
- A pangram sentence uses every letter: You likely encountered pangram sentences when practicing your handwriting, as they use every letter of the English language. ‘The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog’ and ‘The five boxing wizards jump quickly,’ are just a few examples.