It has been 21 years since Mani Ratnam romantic thriller released. The film which stars Shah Rukh Khan and Manisha Koirala had a backdrop of terrorism and insurgency which is beautifully weaved into a tragic love story.
After the film ‘Roja and Bombay’, Dil Se completed the trilogy of Mani Ratnam’s terror drama.
As the film clocks 21 years in the industry, here are 8 facts you probably don’t know about the movie
- Mani Ratnam had the inspiration for the movie from a Sufi song called ‘Thayya Thayya’ The two lovers are said to share the relation between God and devotee.
- ‘Dil Se’ is said to be a journey through the 7 shades of love that are defined in ancient Arabic literature. Those shades are defined as attraction, infatuation, love, reverence, worship, obsession, and death. The character played by Shahrukh Khan passes through each shade during the course of the film.
- The film’s first song, ‘Chal Chaiyya Chaiyya’, is also the opening song of the Hollywood movie ‘Inside Man’ starring Denzel Washington and Clive Owen.
- Shah Rukh Khan did not use a safety harness while filming the sequence aboard the moving train for the song ‘Chal Chaiyya Chaiyya’.
- For the song ‘Jiya Jale, Jaan Chale’ singer Lata Mangeshkar had some problems singing in the higher octaves due to her age, so composer A.R. Rahman kept her voice as low as possible.
- Kajol was the first choice for Manisha’s role but she refused the role due to date issues.
- The film was previously titled ‘Ladakh – Ek Prem Kahani’.
- Shilpa Shirodkar was signed for the ‘Chaiya Chaiya’ song with Shahrukh Khan. Mani Ratnam was unhappy with Shilpa’s weight problem and dropped her from the song.