While the highly-awaited Jio Phones will hit the stores in September, the bookings for the same will start on Thursday at 5 pm. People who wish to buy the JioPhone, can pre-book it using MyJio app or by clicking on the ‘Keep me posted’ option available on the Reliance Jio company’s website jio.com. Besides online booking, the phones can also be booked offline on a first-come-first-served basis through Jio retailers and multi-brand device retailers including the Reliance Digital stores network.
The company is offering life-long free voice calls with cheap data. Customers can book the phone for Rs 500 and the balance Rs 1,000 can be paid at the time of delivery in September. The whole amount will be refunded after 36 months when the customer returns the phone.
During the Reliance Industries Ltd’s (RIL) 40th annual general meeting in July this year, Reliance Industries chairman, Mukesh Ambani, announced the launch of the JioPhone, which is a 4G-enabled feature phone priced at zero. He had said that the JioPhone is the “most intelligent affordable phone in the whole world and that Jio committed to ending “digital dis-empowerment and unfairness” by providing affordable data and devices.
Here are some of the distinctive features of the JioPhone:
- The phone runs KaiOS and comes with 4GB internal memory, 512 MB RAM and support for a SD card to expand storage.
- There is a 2MP camera on the back, along with a VGA front shooter.
- The 4G VoLTE feature phone has a 2.4-inch QVGA display and an alphanumeric keypad.
- The phone supports 22 Indian languages. It also has a headphone jack, microphone, speaker, and FM Radio feature.
- Only Jio sim can be used in the phone. SIM from any other operator other like Idea, Vodafone, Airtel etc won’t work on the device.
- The JioPhone can be connected with TV sets for watching live TV using the Jio TV app. The phone will also include some of the popular instant messaging and social networking apps.
- The phone has a good configuration and includes support for NFC payments and a separate JioCable accessory.
According to data published by TRAI, Reliance Jio has topped the list with the fastest 4G services provider by registering average download speed of over 18 megabits per second in June.