Good Governance Day 2020: Good Governance Day (GGD) is observed annually on December 25 to create awareness of accountability in government among the Indians. The day marks the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vaj.
payee. National Good governance day was established in 2014 to honor Atal Bihari Vajpayee by fostering awareness among the people of accountability in government.
On December 23, 2014, Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya (posthumously) were announced as recipients of India’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna. Following the announcement, the Modi government announced that the birth anniversary of the former Prime Minister would be henceforth commemorated annually in India as Good Governance Day.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee was an Indian politician, extraordinary orator, and writer who served as the tenth Prime Minister of India. Once Atal Bihari Bajpayee said, “One day you may become an ex-prime minister, but you will never become an ex-poet”.
Vajpayee, who held the post of the prime minister for three non-consecutive terms in 1996, 1998-99, and from 1999-2004, was the sensitive poet who summoned nerves of steel to conduct the Pokhran-II nuclear tests, the man from humble beginnings who envisioned a project as titanic as the Golden Quadrilateral highway network.
Here are some meaningful quotes by Atal Bihari Vajpayee:
1. “There can be no compromise regarding corruption.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
2. “No guns but only brotherhood can resolve the problems.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
3. “Terrorism has become a festering wound. It is an enemy of humanity.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
4. “Empowering the individual means empowering the nation. And empowerment is best served through rapid economic growth with rapid social change.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
5. “Our aim may be as high as the endless sky, but we should have a resolve in our minds to walk ahead, hand-in-hand, for victory will be ours.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
6. “For development, peace is essential.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
7. “We believe in equal respect for all faiths.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
8. “Violence does not contribute to anything.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
9. “Victory and defeat are a part of life, which are to be viewed with equanimity.” – Atal Bihari Vajpayee
10. “In the euphoria after the Cold War, there was a misplaced notion that the UN could solve every problem anywhere.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
11. “For me, power was never an attraction.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
12. “If India is not secular, then India is not India at all.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
13. “Quiet diplomacy is far more effective than public posturing.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
14. “My poet’s heart gives me strength to face political problems, particularly those which have a bearing on my conscience.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee
15. “Our words, actions, and diplomatic efforts should be aimed at trying to achieve pragmatic goals rather than creating rhetorical effect.” -Atal Bihari Vajpayee